It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:01 am 
Registered Member

So basically in both Manhunt games we are in the role of a man with intense situations that needs to act right away. Nothing in the games is really brought up with our protagonist enjoying himself too much, or really shifting up his motives on murdering other than for survival. It's all cut and dry with you having to kill people for the sake of killing them.

If the series ever wants to make a new comeback then we'd need a game where we are the bad guy. The gangs wouldn't just be some rag tag group of outcast psychopaths, but instead people in it for the sake of money or getting food on the table for their kids. I think Manhunt should twist up the player's sympathy and doubt. Make them know that what they are doing is actually kind of fucked up. Especially with more gruesome scenes. There would be parts where our guy would vomit from the scene of what he's doing, to then having a blank stare on his face by the end of the game while he's drilling someone's fucking forehead.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:55 pm 
Registered Member

Nermskin wrote:
So basically in both Manhunt games we are in the role of a man with intense situations that needs to act right away. Nothing in the games is really brought up with our protagonist enjoying himself too much, or really shifting up his motives on murdering other than for survival. It's all cut and dry with you having to kill people for the sake of killing them.

If the series ever wants to make a new comeback then we'd need a game where we are the bad guy. The gangs wouldn't just be some rag tag group of outcast psychopaths, but instead people in it for the sake of money or getting food on the table for their kids. I think Manhunt should twist up the player's sympathy and doubt. Make them know that what they are doing is actually kind of fucked up. Especially with more gruesome scenes. There would be parts where our guy would vomit from the scene of what he's doing, to then having a blank stare on his face by the end of the game while he's drilling someone's fucking forehead.

That would be pretty fucking cool.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:24 am 
Registered Member

I like the necessary evil survival aspect more, but with a good enough justification an evil protagonist could work.

Using the D&D morality chart as a basis for analysing Manhunt protags, from what little personality Cash displayed i didn't really see him as evil but more of a chaotic neutral character who has no qualms about murdering and what not as long as he survives, though i'm pretty sure this observation comes from my belief that Cash was never written any personality and was more of a blank slate than a proper character like most early R* protagonists (Claude, Cash, Gta London, Gta 1, Gta 2).

I'd prefer a female protagonist since it would bring the element of physical vulnerability and the risk of sexual violence which would give the story disturbingly realistic horror scenarios and also force the gameplay to focus on stealth tactics to overcome the physically superior male hunters.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:28 am 
Registered Member

Problem is: it's going to cause controversy and R* doesn't like that.

“You know, I think it's important to keep a balance in things. Yeah, balance, that's the right word. Cause the guy who wants too much risks losing absolutely everything. Of course, the one who wants too little from life, might not get anything at all.”

― Thomas Angelo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:33 am 
Registered Member

xxCSPROxx wrote:

Manhunt 2 has one big obvious reference to the Zodiac killer...

ehh... it seems you edited out your wish for a Zodiac killer game.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:35 am 
Registered Member

Gooby wrote:
xxCSPROxx wrote:

Holy shit, did you read my edited comment? Only reason why I edited out because I thought my sentence didn't sound right. LOL.

“You know, I think it's important to keep a balance in things. Yeah, balance, that's the right word. Cause the guy who wants too much risks losing absolutely everything. Of course, the one who wants too little from life, might not get anything at all.”

― Thomas Angelo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:38 am 
Registered Member

xxCSPROxx wrote:
Gooby wrote:
xxCSPROxx wrote:

Holy shit, did you read my edited comment?

No, i read your mind. Obviously man, i guess i checked this thread just in time to see your apparently secret wish for a game.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:40 am 
Registered Member

Gooby wrote:
xxCSPROxx wrote:
Gooby wrote:
xxCSPROxx wrote:

Holy shit, did you read my edited comment?

No, i read your mind. Obviously man, i guess i checked this thread just in time to see your apparently secret wish for a game.

Shit, I just edited my reply the time you posted that reply! My reply is now different! :lol: (by that, I meant the "Holy shit, did you read my edited comment?" part).

― Thomas Angelo

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:09 am 
Registered Member

Nermskin wrote:
If the series ever wants to make a new comeback then we'd need a game where we are the bad guy.

Wot? James Earl Cash was put on death row. He must have done something pretty bad, dude.
I don't know about you, but I always felt like Cash was a bad guy.
As for Manhunt 2....well....you're KIND OF the bad guy, but you're insane at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:51 am 
The Cerberus

I think what makes Cash a great protagonist IS that he's a blank slate. He's just the player, and whatever emotion is brought to the gruesome murders are your own, or not, if you don't mind. The game also follows how you change from maybe being human to a killing machine, but with the hunters. I remember trying to spare a Hood because his pleas for mercy were really heartfelt, but that quickly stopped after. Some of it because he betrayed my mercy, but mostly because the hunters became more unsympathetic.

I think it creates the desensitization perfectly like that.

In my opinion, Rockstar fucked up when they started putting in sympathetic characters in their games. It's fine they have a personality, but I don't want some guy bitching about how "the life" is so bad, while the player goes on an insane killing spree in-between cutscenes. GTA5 worked better than the previous ones because they had a compulsive narcissist, a psycho and a guy willing to do anything for money. That's more player-oriented, not some Balkan veteran always complaining about that he has to do bad things. Become a cab driver if it's so terrible.

GTA4, Stories and especially Red Dead Redemption are still great games, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:48 am 
Registered Member

Goretex wrote:
In my opinion, Rockstar fucked up when they started putting in sympathetic characters in their games. It's fine they have a personality, but I don't want some guy bitching about how "the life" is so bad, while the player goes on an insane killing spree in-between cutscenes. GTA5 worked better than the previous ones because they had a compulsive narcissist, a psycho and a guy willing to do anything for money. That's more player-oriented, not some Balkan veteran always complaining about that he has to do bad things. Become a cab driver if it's so terrible.

IV

*Super dramatic and serious cutscene of Niko grieving about his experiences during the war and how he saw horrors and had to do very bad things*
*GTA Gameplay Continues*
*Niko drives like a fucking maniac and mows down shitload of innocent pedestrians while talking on phone with a friend about how he's slowly adjusting to his new life*
*Comedic hypocrisy at its best*

Kind of the same thing in RDR with the R* good guy cowboy, John Marston.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:57 am 
The Cerberus

Exactly! Especially Red Dead Redemption, John Marston is so annoying!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:12 am 
Registered Member

Goretex wrote:
Exactly! Especially Red Dead Redemption, John Marston is so annoying!

Ehh man... don't go so far to blame the character. I like Marston a lot, one of the coolest gaming protagonists i know. It's just the typical R* gameplay that allows (And encourages) people to act like amoral sociopaths WHICH turns into totally hypocritical humor when R* tries to write a good guy as the main character. It just doesn't work as long as they keep their traditional gameplay of chaos and freedom to do whatever the fuck the player wants to.

John himself is a well written and tragic character with a sad ending, but R* doesn't understand that good guys don't fit into their idea of fun. IV and RDR have this exact same unintended issue of a ridiculously hypocritical main guy.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:27 am 
The Cerberus

I love RDR, but John Marston is a fucking idiot. Maybe that's kind of tragic. He lets everyone he meets play him throughout the entire game. He threatens them with the exact same threat of putting a bullet in their heads, but never once shows he's serious, and everyone just uses him, from Ross to lowlife drunks. He's written fine as this, I just don't feel any connection to him when playing.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:52 pm 
Registered Member

There's a Black Mirror episode called White Bear which I got really strong Manhunt vibes from upon watching and thought would be a great synopsis for a modern, up-to-date rehash of a Manhunt game. I won't spoil the plot because you should all watch it just to see what I'm talking about, but basically it's about a woman who wakes up with no idea of what's going on, and is being hunted, Manhunt-style. However, instead of old school security cameras watching her, there's human bystanders watching her and ignoring her pleas for help (they're in inaccessible areas that she can't reach) and they're filming her with smartphones and cameras. I think it'd be a smart way to bring Manhunt into the modern day social media era, where people can watch live feeds of the hunt and join in themselves. They also act as snitches, where if people can see her, they can alert the hunters to her location if they are having a hard time looking for her. It's a really fast paced and intense episode that any Manhunt fan would see as a good motivator for a Manhunt 3. Anyone see it?

The plot/protagonist could be anyone or whatever, good or bad. But this new social media era could bring a whole new gameplay style into play. Kinda like the DmC remake vs the older games.

Zom-B wrote:
Wouldn't that be strange? To unmask someone and find they look exactly the same underneath.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11982