It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 am 
Registered Member

...That GTA III and GTA VC has better graphics than GTA SA?

“You know, I think it's important to keep a balance in things. Yeah, balance, that's the right word. Cause the guy who wants too much risks losing absolutely everything. Of course, the one who wants too little from life, might not get anything at all.”

― Thomas Angelo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:50 am 
Registered Member

No being as San Andreas is a bigger game and pushed the PS2 and Xbox to their limits. Something had to give. Seems a slight downgrade in graphics was the answer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:00 am 
Registered Member

wwinterj wrote:
No being as San Andreas is a bigger game and pushed the PS2 and Xbox to their limits. Something had to give. Seems a slight downgrade in graphics was the answer.

Yeah,your right...But I kinda find it strange since GTA SA had a more updated engine than the two games...

“You know, I think it's important to keep a balance in things. Yeah, balance, that's the right word. Cause the guy who wants too much risks losing absolutely everything. Of course, the one who wants too little from life, might not get anything at all.”

― Thomas Angelo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:34 am 
Registered Member

There's not a lot of visual difference between the two. The models and animations were more advanced in SA, but it's also important to take into account which platform are we talking about since San Andreas' PS2 version had a major visual difference due to the custom lighting and shading which R* utilized to blur and mask the low resolution and the poor technical capabilities of the system giving the PS2 version a very orange and shadowy atmosphere.

But then again, this alternative shader R* used to compensate for PS2's sh1t specs, has become almost an exclusive feature in the eyes of the fandom. There have even been a few mods to simulate the blurry orange/dark blue mood of this version into PC which, i must admit, made me feel nostalgic when i tried it out. I haven't played PS2 San Andreas since like... hell, 2009 i think!

Plus, as our Brit above said, San Andreas was significantly bigger in scope which, by 2004 technology, must have pushed the consoles to their max cap. Overall, there's no noticeable difference in graphics and this is the first time, as far as i can recall, that i see someone claiming such.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:39 am 
Registered Member

Gooby wrote:
Overall, there's no noticeable difference in graphics and this is the first time, as far as i can recall, that i see someone claiming such.
Not gonna start an argument...but,incase you didn't notice San Andreas' textures didn't have much detail to them compared to Vice City and the cars from GTA III had smooth models unlike San Andreas...as for the ps2 version it is understandable because of the limits,but why did the pc port have the same issue?

― Thomas Angelo

Last edited by AGoodFellow on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:34 am 
Registered Member

xxCSPROxx wrote:
Gooby wrote:
Overall, there's no noticeable difference in graphics and this is the first time, as far as i can recall, that i see someone claiming such.
Not gonna start an argument...but,incase you didn't notice San Andreas' textures didn't have much detail to them compared to Vice City and the cars from GTA III had smooth models unlike San Andreas...as for the ps2 port it is understandable because of the limits,but why did the pc version have the same issue?

It's not an issue, the textures were of higher resolution on PC and they were also uncompressed for that extra bit of detail. As for vehicle models, i've never heard of anyone preferring the III's or VC's models over SA's. You're very likely in the minority on this subject.

Actually, now that i focus my mind on this, SA had a lot more detailed vehicles than any of the previous titles, III and VC had really muddy and blurry textured vehicles while SA's were that of a much cleaner and sharper quality albeit the vanilla version lacked the reflections seen on PS2, giving all the vehicles a very opaque visual impression, which by no means looked ugly either.

Now that you brought this topic up, i'm starting to remember some old Gta forum threads and i really can't recall a single discussion of someone thinking San Andreas' graphics looking worse than III's & VC's. You may be looking at specific locations or objects only, and basing your complete opinion on the game's visuals around them. This is the improper way of looking at a game so huge in scale such as SA, if you really want to appreciate its visual beauty, it is necessary to look at the big picture.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:44 am 
Registered Member

xxCSPROxx wrote:
as for the ps2 port it is understandable because of the limits,but why did the pc version have the same issue?

.... because no fucker made a good enough mod.

Still the PS2 version came out first so wasn't a port thus the PC got what consoles got. As far as I know GTA games on consoles have always been ported from console to the PC since GTA 3. Simply because consoles have a bigger market.

Last edited by wwinterj on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:47 am 
Registered Member

wwinterj wrote:
xxCSPROxx wrote:
as for the ps2 port it is understandable because of the limits,but why did the pc version have the same issue?

Such is not necessary. Vehicles are much more realistic in their appearance in San Andreas than they ever were in the past titles.

Last edited by Gooby on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:52 am 
Registered Member

Gooby wrote:
Such is not necessary.

Wouldn't know as I never played it on PC and never had any issue with the PS2 version as I'm not a graphics whore.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:03 am 
Registered Member

wwinterj wrote:
Gooby wrote:
Such is not necessary.

Wouldn't know as I never played it on PC and never had any issue with the PS2 version as I'm not a graphics whore.

PC version is obviously the master race as is the case with most games. PS2 ain't bad though. I really like the exclusive filter it has, here, take a look at the orange shader the PS2 version's known for.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:54 am 
Registered Member

wwinterj wrote:
xxCSPROxx wrote:

Still the PS2 version came out first so wasn't a port thus the PC got what consoles got. As far as I know GTA games on consoles have always been ported from console to the PC since GTA 3. Simply because consoles have a bigger market.

Thanks for the correction...

― Thomas Angelo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:01 am 
Registered Member

Gooby wrote:
Actually, now that i focus my mind on this, SA had a lot more detailed vehicles than any of the previous titles, III and VC had really muddy and blurry textured vehicles while SA's were that of a much cleaner and sharper quality albeit the vanilla version lacked the reflections seen on PS2, giving all the vehicles a very opaque visual impression, which by no means looked ugly either.
Vice City Car:Image San Andreas Car:Image (PHOTOS NOT MINE BTW)

― Thomas Angelo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:31 am 
Registered Member

xxCSPROxx wrote:

Yeah, what's your point with the comparison? San Andreas models are much more sharper and detailed. The SA image you chose is a rather bad example since it's obviously taken from the PC version which, while generally superior in most aspects, still has the strange opaque appearance on all the vehicle models, but overall San Andreas models are way more sharper in texture AND in tessellation of the models and their skeletal structure animation-wise. If you can't see how low-res and ugly the pre-SA cars looked like then you have some serious issues with your vision.

Also, if you're going to make a comparison off Google images, make sure the resolution matches.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:38 am 
Registered Member

Gooby wrote:
xxCSPROxx wrote:

Yeah, what's your point with the comparison? San Andreas models are much more sharper and detailed. The SA image you chose is a rather bad example since it's obviously taken from the PC version which, while generally superior in most aspects, still has the strange opaque appearance on all the vehicle models, but overall San Andreas models are way more sharper in texture AND in tessellation of the models and their skeletal structure animation-wise. If you can't see how low-res and ugly the pre-SA cars looked like then you have some serious issues with your vision.

Also, if you're going to make a comparison off Google images, make sure the resolution matches.
I think I get what you mean,thanks...

― Thomas Angelo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:46 am 
Registered Member

xxCSPROxx wrote:
I think I get what you mean,thanks...

Uh huh